Monday, July 6, 2009

New Investigator Challenge

Dear Family,
I can't believe its already been another week. :0 There are so many things to do and time seems to keep flying away from me. Elder Taylor and I have had quite the week. Each week the zone leaders give us one key indicator to really focus on, and throughout the week we have daily challenges that help us reach our weekly goal. This week's focus was new investigators. The goal: 14. Elder Taylor and I decided we were going to do everything we could to achieve the goal. We had plans to receive referrals, visit former investigators and media referrals, and talk to everyone that we met. It is really nice with a different focus every week. It helps me remember there is not one set way to do missionary work. Elder Taylor and I had 12 new investigators by Saturday night, so we had to find two more on Sunday. After church, we visited some of our investigators, but we then decided to go see leads and see if any of the people are serious and would like to hear the gospel lessons. The first lead we visited was actually home, and he, (Ralph) invited us to share our message. We taught a great first lesson and we have a return appointment with him later this week so that was 13 new investigators. During the closing prayer the name of another lead who lives on the other side of town came to my mind. I had a difficult time listening to Elder Taylor's prayer because my mind was focused on this lead. After we said goodbye to Ralph, we got in the car and I told Elder Taylor we were driving across town to see this lead. It was not the wisest use of our miles, but we drove over, and Dev (the lead) was home! We taught her and we have a return appointment this Wednesday! 14 new investigators by 8:34 pm Sunday night! It took us the entire week, well 26 minutes short of a full week, but we reached our goal!
  I wish I had time to tell you about each of our investigators, but I don't have the time, so I will only talk about one, Alisa Bentley. Elder Merell (one of the zone leaders) and I contacted Alisa on the first week of this transfer and she told us to come back another day because she was not feeling well. While Elder Taylor and I were on exchanges with a member from the ward, we were in Alisa's neighborhood, so we stopped by to see how she was doing. We taught a spiritually led lesson, and when we talked about the Book of Mormon, she asked, "I would really like to get one. Where can I get one?" Alisa just ate up everything we taught her. We invited her to be baptized and she accepted the baptismal date of the 8th of August. :D When we asked her when we could set up a return appointment, she replied, "Can you come by tomorrow?" So we went back on Wednesday and we read through 3 Ne. 11 and explained the correct way to baptize. When we asked (once again) when we could come back, she had the same response, "Can you come by tomorrow?" :) Alisa truly recognizes Elder Taylor and me as servants of Jesus Christ, and she is willing to do everything we ask of her. She started reading from the beginning of the Book of Mormon and she is praying every morning and night. Alisa also has an 8 year old son, who we are teaching so he can be baptized the same day as his mother. The only concern I have with Alisa is that she has a four month old baby which she had with her boyfriend. Elder Taylor and I have not had the opportunity to meet the boyfriend because he lives in Columbia, but Alisa assures us that he is looking for a church as well. I pray he will have the same desire Alisa has for obtaining the truth and he will accept and live the Law of Chasity by marrying Alisa
I wish I had time to talk about each of our investigators because they are all truly amazing. I am so grateful the Lord has trusted me with teaching so many of His children. I hope and pray that I may continue to follow the Lord and be obedient to his commandments and be sensitive to the promptings of the Spirit. This is the Lord's work and it is only going to be done His way. I love you all! Have a wonderful week!

Elder Cowan

P.S. I do not want pictures. :) I have the pictures you sent me and that's all I want. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment