Monday, August 16, 2010

5 Baptisms on Base!!! Plus 1 in Hopkins Ward--Total of 6 Baptisms for Columbia Stake!

Dear Family,

I know it is not fair, but as life gets busier and busier, there is always something that does not get all the attention it needs. And like always, it seems like my weekly letter home always gets the short end of the stick. I do love my new area. We did not have 7 baptisms, we had 5!!!!! plus one outside the base (in the Hopkins ward) so a total of 6 baptisms for the Columbia Stake! The base was so busy! The soldiers only have two hours that they are allowed to be at church or else they get chewed out by their drill sergeants. So within two hours, we had to give all the soldiers the sacrament, AND interview the five men for baptism, AND have them all change into white clothing (in an extremely small bathroom), AND baptize them in our portable font, AND confirm them members of the church, AND have each of them meet with the Branch President to receive the Aaronic Priesthood! Boy, if you want to see an amusing sight, watch the four of us missionaries run around in all different directions throughout the church service. It was quite the adventure. I don't know how I found time, but I also met a soldier who was there for his first time and I taught him the gospel. He has a ton of potential. He is very spiritual, and I would not be surprised if he was baptized in the next three weeks. Elder Taylor also taught a group the first discussion and at the end of his teaching two soldiers raised their hands to indicate they wanted to be baptized!

It's always interesting going back to the family ward in Camden after being on the base. Everything feels like it's in slow motion. :) I'm once again learning all the members in the Camden Ward and knowing how missionary work goes, and as soon as I learn the area, they will move me to another city! :D I love the excitement of missionary work!

Well, I need to close for now. We have permission to write emails to the soldiers on base and I feel that it will help those I met have a desire to come back next week, and I want to congratulate those who were baptized. Therefore, I need to stop writing this letter. I love you all and I hope you have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Cowan

No comments:

Post a Comment