Monday, April 20, 2009

First Zone Conference


 
 
April 20, 2009

Dear Family,
Be the part; Wear the part!
I have not seen a Wells Fargo. That's why I sent the check home. I'm sorry I didn't write anything. I do love you and I can only write on P-Day. I forgot to tell you last email that there is a new policy on the mission. (Dad's going to love it) All missionaries have to part their hair. :) I also was asked last week by the Ap's to play the piano at zone conference this Wednesday. I'm thankful for the little skills I have. I've had the opportunity to play the piano MANY times at different meetings. The bike I use is owned by a member. He doesn't use it so he gave it to me for my time here in Anderson. I think I answered the questions. If I didn't, I'm sure you will ask me again next week. When I received the call to play the piano at zone conference, they told me I had to be at the church by 6:00 in the morning. When I got off the phone I told Elder Bowles and he was shocked because I guess zone conference starts at 10, but I didn't know any better because I've never been to one. Our zone leaders also asked us to start a fast at 12:00 Tuesday to prepare for the special zone conference. With all the excitement about the special zone conference (the earlier time and fast), everyone was speculating what was going to happen. The two biggest guesses were 1. one of the 12 apostles were coming, or 2. We were re-dedicating the south for missionary work. All this excitement made me nervous with my assignment to play piano. :P We started the fast on Tuesday and later that day we taught Bill and Wayne (the two Catholic brothers) at the church. We focused on the Book of Mormon, and Wayne really enjoyed the thought of Christ appearing to the people in America. It was a great lesson. In order to get to Greenville by 6:00 we woke up at 3:30. :D When we arrived I went to the bathroom to get away from everyone and say a quick prayer asking that I may be calm and that my fingers may be guided as I played. I played for a half hour of prelude music and it was great. :) the Lord definitely blessed me as I played. When conference started President McConkie told everyone that we were getting in the cars and leaving. He didn't tell us where we were going but we filed into the cars and left. We drove to a State park and started hiking. After a couple of minutes on the trail we stepped off into the forest. We read the first vision and sang Joseph Smith's first prayer. I love music. The spirit was in rich abundance as 40 missionaries sang. It was powerful. We then had time to separate from everyone and have our own sacred grove time. I started with a prayer to thank Heavenly Father for revealing himself and His son to the young Joseph Smith. I then read through the words of the hymn and I was struck by the lyrics "but undaunted still he trusted in his Heavenly Father's care." I had been talking to Elder Bowles and how I wished I knew the reasons behind the rules so we wouldn't have to have blind obedience and Elder Bowles commented: "It's a chance to trust our Heavenly Father. We don't have to know why there is a rule, but where and who the rule is coming from." As I read the lyrics in the song, I thought about how I need to trust my Heavenly Father more. I trusted him enough to come on my mission, but do I trust him enough to send his spirit when I testify? Do I trust him enough to guide me to his elect? Do I trust him enough to align my will with His? These were the questions that I pondered and it was a great experience. We then went on to have the regular zone conference at the church, It was great but the best part was our sacred grove time. The focus of the conference was to "Send your investigators through the Sacred Grove." I need to help the investigator have the desire and then pray vocally to Heavenly Father asking their question. On to Thursday. We taught a man named Joel but it was very difficult because we were teaching in his front yard and the dogs were barking, and his house was next to a highway so cars were driving by constantly so it was difficult to have the spirit with us. Even with all the distractions we invited him to kneel down and pray, and he did! It almost shocked me that he would do that in the middle of his yard while cars were driving by. It was pretty cool. His friend had been listening to the discussion but at the end he got frustrated with us and we were not able to get a return appointment with Joel but later that night he gave us a call and wanted to meet us at our church so we could teach him some more and without distractions! :D Happy day! 
 
We continue to go over to Edna's every day to have contact to make sure she is still excited about baptism, and every time she is firmer and firmer in her determination. This week she even told us that she knew that God had sent us to her. We were an answer to her prayers. Her baptism date is the 9th along with her three grandchildren. Saturday while riding our bikes away from Ednas, we came across a huge hill and I went down a little fast, and....crashed. L:) I ripped up my shirt and my belt broke but it was so funny! I also got a little road rash on my arm but I could not stop laughing after I got up. Don't worry mom. And don't email Sis. McConkie. I am fine. It was a funny experience. Another funny story this week. I talk in my sleep, you know that, but Saturday I woke up and Elder Jones and Bowles told me I had said the Lords prayer in my sleep!  :)  Wayne and Bill must be rubbing off on me.  :)  We taught Wayne and Bill again about baptism and Wayne recognized that he has not been taught the truth in the Catholic church. Luis and Gaspers baptism is this weekend so pray for them to stay strong and that all will work out. I love you all and I pray all is well.
Love Elder Cowan
 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Amy! You've joined the blogging world. That's exciting. Now, once you get a little practice you just have to get one for yourself. You can always do a "flashback" day and get your pics with Obama on there. :)
    Oh, and great job Trevor. LOL. That biking story reminded me of somebody else I know. He didn't chip a tooth did he?

    ReplyDelete