Monday, September 6, 2010

Opposition in All Things

Dear Family,
What a week. I am really tired. I don't know what it is, but I don't seem to have as much energy as I usually do. This week has had very high points and also extremely low points, but that's life. "Opposition in all things" is a true principle. Jerry had a really bad relapse with alcohol. He was doing really good and then one day he slipped, and he slipped farther than he has in a very long time. I don't know what to do with him. He recognizes the need to change, he wants to change but I don't see any improvement. Jerry is not very educated, and his eyes are really bad so he is not able to read the Book of Mormon. I know that if he were to read he would be able to receive power from Heavenly Father to overcome the addictions which hold him bound.

Annette Adair also has experienced another type of opposition this week. ANTI. Annette called me Wednesday night and she was very distraught. She was so worked up. I feel so bad for her. She is very confused at the moment and does not know what to do. Please pray for her. As I spoke to her on Tuesday, I invited her to ask God about anything we had taught her, and that through the Holy Ghost he would reveal the truthfulness unto her. Annette promised me that we could come by the following day and answer her concerns. On our way over to her house on Wednesday, she called us and canceled. She told us that everything was snowballing and that she needed to get away for a time. She left Wednesday night for Charleston. She is to return later this week. I hope the vacation will benefit her. I hope she has taken Moroni's promise and pondered on the things that we have taught her. I know that IF she asks, THEN the Lord will answer.

Enough with the bad on to the good. When Annette canceled on us on Wednesday, it left our evening completely open. We decided to see Sister Ana Baker. Ana Baker has come to church twice but she would never set a return appointment with us at church. We decided to show up at her house and try to see her. Ana Baker lives 45 minutes away. It still amazes me that she drove down to Camden all on her own just because her granddaughter asked her to visit the church. We drove up to her street but we could not find her house number. We knocked on one door and Carolyn Cateo answered the door. Carolyn invited us right in and we found out that she is related to Sister Ana Baker, and that her sister is a member. She told us how much she loved her sister and the example she is. Carolyn has been surrounded by members. She does home health and she watches a lady in Lancaster (which is not in our mission) who is a member. Many times while she sits with this elderly lady, the missionaries from the North Carolina Mission have taught her the gospel. Also, her sister took her down to the Columbia temple and Carolyn was able to meet the temple president. Before we even began to teach her, she knew Joesph Smith was a prophet and that the Book of Mormon is true. Carolyn accepted a baptismal date for the 25 of September. After visiting Carolyn, she directed us over to Sister Baker's home. We sat with Sister Baker and taught her more about the gospel. Sister Baker came to church this week. Carolyn and her family could not make it because of work. Carolyn is changing her schedule in order to come to church this next week.

The best part about the week was while I was at the Ft. Jackson Military Post. I have been teaching a young man named Watkins and yesterday he finally accepted a baptismal date. This was a result of the two of us kneeling in prayer in the middle of a hallway. There is not much room in the building where the services are held. It's amazing how the Spirit works. Even with noise around us, and people walking right between us, Watkins still felt the spirit. As he arose from his prayer the first words out of his mouth were, "I would like to be baptized!" I am so excited for him! Also, to make the service even better, Brother Schuetter who I had the blessing of teaching the gospel to two weeks ago, passed the sacrament for his first time. Also, another one of my converts on the post bore his testimony of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. It was a real treat to witness these two soldiers continuing in the faith. Well, that's the update for this week. I don't know why it took me so long to write this letter. I need to get better. I just have a difficult time writing. I don't want to come off the wrong way. I love the Lord. I am so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Thank you for all your prayers.

I love you all!
Love,
Elder Cowan

No comments:

Post a Comment